Right here, right now

Creative Writing workshop five minute write
Prompt:  Right here, right now

I often have these moments when I ask myself, how the heck did I get here? If anyone had asked me back in 1987 if I would be living in Montreal, be a stay at home mom for the most part and be raising a child with special needs, I would have said no effing way.

Sometimes I'm resentful when I look back and wonder, what if I didn't move to Louisiana from California, what if I didn't give up this or that job for another? Was it wise to move for love? I used to justify it by saying that I could have the best job in the world, but if I didn't have anyone to share it with, what's the point?

I guess, that is the point. I guess I have given up professional opportunities and made sacrifices for the sake of my family. But does it all matter? I know I am fortunate in that I have been able to make these choices.

I don't believe in coincidences. I don't know what I believe in per se, but I do believe in purpose. There is a reason why we moved to Montreal and I gave up yet another job. There's a reason why I'm "staying home" again. There's a reason why for the first time in my life I have time on my hands and have the opportunity to explore new adventures. There's a reason why I found this creative writing workshop. There's a reason why I'm sitting in this class, right here, right now, trying not to focus on this butt-ugly table cloth* that stares back at me week after week.

Right here, right now. Right now I'm right here where I belong.

*for the past year the workshop/class has been held in a classroom where we sit around a table adorned with the ugliest vinyl tablecloth with the most annoying countrified blue flowers.